The HIBster Club
HIBster Club is an extracurricular youth group that openly protests acts of bullying and promotes positive treatment of others. Members of HIBster club pledge to:
- Help create a type of environment, both inside and outside of school, that makes it difficult or less comfortable for students to treat each other badly.
- Improve awareness of the dismal consequences of bullying.
- Increase the likelihood of an incident-free school year.
- Improve the likelihood of peer intervention when incidents do occur.
- Encourage self-confidence through positive messages and activities.
- Enlighten all students as a whole to treat each other well.
Some of the activities and duties of HIBster Club include:
- Discussing the current state of bullying behavior in the school.
- Sharing personal stories and anecdotes as a bully, victim or bystander.
- Planning and participating in confidence-building activities.
- Planning and participating in activities that promote kindness and protest hate and violence.
- Pledging to intervene if witnessing a bullying event (this pledge is recited at the beginning of every meeting).
- Design posters, flyers and other creative materials that include pro-kindness / anti-bullying messages and imagery and place these materials around the school (with permission from the Principal).